The Coastal areas of Chandpur, Tajpur and Khejuri Villages in the District of East Midnapur in West Bengal is slowly getting back to normalcy after it was devastated by Cyclone AILA on 25th May 2009. The Disaster Management Committee of the Diocese, headed by the Bishop, The Rt. Revd. Dr. Probal Kanto Dutta in its meeting had taken a decision to send a team to the above target Coastal areas after a survey of the Cyclone Aila affected people. The Aila devastation situation was reviewed and the decision taken by the Diocese was to rescue and sustain the life of the victims and to take up rehabilitation activities within the limited resources of the Diocese
On 13th July 2009 a team of 14 volunteers including 8 youth, went to these villages with Relief materials for distribution. We distributed the Relief material to about 1000 families in the three villages. The most hearting thing was taken that the young generation to take part in the Relief operation where they were able to witness and serve the needy people.
As requested by Mr. Staya Ranjan Bera, President, Khejuri-I Block Trinamul Congress, Haria, East Midnapur to our Bishop to take up the Rehabilitation Programme. A meeting was held on 27th July 2009 between the Disaster Management Committee, Diocese of Durgapur and the representatives of the Khejuri Block-I, the following decision have been taken for immediate implementation.
· After scrutiny of the quotations it was decided that the low cost houses will be constructed with Asbestos roof for the Cyclone Aila affected beneficiaries. The work will start form 8th August 2009 for the following beneficiaries. The work will be completed within 90 days.
1. Mr. Kalipada Jana, Vill. Erinchi, P.O. Krishnanagar. Purba Midnapur.
2. Mr. Srimanta Pradhan, -do-
3. Mr. Haripada Das -do-
4. Mr. Bablu Barik -do-
5. Mr. Gonesh Jana. Vill & P.O. D. Kalamdan, Dist.Purba Midnapur.
· It was further decided that tubewelsl will be installed in the following beneficiaries areas at the same time.
Village Total Benefiheries.
1. Erinchi 500
2. Erinchi Easrt 1000
3. D. Kalamdan 500
4. Bajbajia West 600
5. Krishnanagar, Das Palli 500
Your prayers for the Rehabilitation of the Cyclone Aila affected people will be great blessing
Disaster Management Committee
Diocese of Durgapur, C.N.I.